Friday, March 20, 2009

Which sites keep you away from work?

(laughs)... this is actually just a joke, since being updated with what is going on is part of work in a way.

Since the evolution of the RSS feeds, the way we have access to information has changed amazingly. I remember myself 5 years ago checking all those blogs and pages for contents... this all moved to Google Reader. I don't know if it is just me, but I get the feeling that even RSS feed applications (a.k.a. Aggregator) that appeared much prior to Google Reader but they didn't fixed their ground. Google Reader seeems to do this work very well.

However, the reality for most people is still different. Checking some other people who are not directly in the IT field, most of them don't even know what RSS or Google Reader is whatsoever. This means that most people still gather information and knowlegde through old channels. This is weird...

Since we are mostly talking about IT here, then I think it is safe to ask about that (if not, your job is at risk right now, hehehe)... I was wondering, since the information all over the blogs and news are so duplicated, it is kind of pain in the a** to read the same thing again and again. To avoid that, I usually keep certain feeds that do not mix up contents...

Which ones do you guys use?

Here is my list:

Google stuff:

Linux stuff:
General contents:
  • GHacks
  • SlashDot (this one is awesome, check their slogan: "news for nerds, stuff that matters", hehe)
  • Lifehacker (this one is too much, but I read once in a while)
  • InfoQ (too much architecture for me, but it is interesting)

How about you?

4 comments:

takeshi said...

>>However, the reality for most people is still different. Checking some other people who are not directly in the IT field, most of them don't even know what RSS or Google Reader is whatsoever. This means that most people still gather information and knowlegde through old channels. This is weird...

That would be my case. I'm not following updates of web sites using those things because I don't have the habit to go to sites to check their contents. Usually, I just go to sites when I get an interesting link (like the ones suggested by GMail based on the contents of my emails, or received in emails in the discussion lists i'm subscribed to, or just by googling). There are several nice sites out there like InfoQ and Lifehacker that would be worth to be checked periodically, but still i'm not into that habit.
Then most of my information update actually comes from the discussion lists I'm subscribed to and that I follow from emails (Kamailio, SER, Opensips, FreeSwitch, Yate, pjsip, Django, clojure, Scala, Erlang, Lua, Ocalm, SIPp, sofia-sip, GNUStep, Twisted-Python, Divmod, RED5, SipX, F#, Squeak, Factor etc). Because of this, I receive emails by the hundreds everyday and most of them I just look at the subject and discard (and then, gmail aggregation by subject helps a lot). And actually I don't understand most of the discussion that goes on on those lists (I frequently subscribe to lists for things that I am not using and don't understand yet as an assimilation technique to prepare myself for things that I am planning to use in the future).

So at the moment I don't use any feeds (and I never went to check what is this Google Reader thing). This may change as some discussion lists are being abandoned in favor of forums.

Kaja said...

I like to use feeds also, specially for news and sports, I can have the list of topics and just read the ones that are relevant to me.
For TI, the only English feed that I subscribe is engadget(www.engadget.com).

Unknown said...

For me, it just put all in one single place where I can manage and fast filter the contents that may interest me, instead of reading them all.

If you go to a specific page for checking up on news, changes, updates, etc, RSS is definitely a good way to go... of course, if the reason is for research, the "almighty" Google serves well.

Takeshi, I would suggest to check on the Google Reader when you have time available... for example, checking the Kamailio Forum, you have the RSS feed:
http://www.voipuser.org/voip.rss?markup=rss
I am sure the others also offer this...

Teguh Eko Budiarto said...

I am also fan of Google Reader. It has very nice interface to manage and read feeds. With it, you can have all your favorite sites updates in one place. If you don't have much time, which I think none of us have it, it is very easy to skim each article. Not mentioning the keyboard features which can enhance your browsing speed.

And now, you even can use it offline. This is very useful for someone like me who commute 3 hours more round-trip every day..

I think it is very cool!