Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Parkinson's Law

I have come across the Parkinson's Law before, which was a complex mathematical expression used in economical and financial sciences, to express the expansion of bureaucracy over time (got this from Wikipedia, of course I did not remember it, lol).

In simple terms (again, from Wikipedia), the law says that:

Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion

Reading a book later, called The 4-hour Work Week, I found a very cool explanation about it by the author, that matches perfectly with my work philosophy, trying always to push myself to motivate and speed up productivity.



Parkinson's Law dictates that a task will swell in (perceived) importance and complexity in relation to the time allotted for its completion. It is the magic of the imminent deadline. If I give you 24 hours to complete a project, the time pressure forces you to focus on execution, and you have no choice but to do only the bare essentials. If I give you a week to complete the same task, it's six days of making a mountain out of a molehill...

0 comments: